Reflection of Citation Exercise.
I did the citation exercise for two authors, Kenneth Frampton and Keith Eggener. While the former is a well-known name in the academic conversation of modern architectural history, the latter is equally renowned yet many of his work are published only in architectural magazines. Following are my reports on both authors:
Author: Keith Eggener
Work: Garden of El Pedregal (a book)
Total number of citations: 4
Two of which are self-cited while the remaining two are book reviews.
Total number of publications by the author were 9.
h-index: 3
average citation per item: 3.11
sum of times cited (without self-citations): 25
Author: Kenneth Frampton
Work: Towards a Critical Regionalism: Six points for an architecture of resistance.
Total number of citations: 2
One in an architectural education journal while other in a romantic studies journal, Hispanofila
Total number of publications by the author were 38.
h-index: 10
average citation per item: 9.05
sum of times cited (without self-citations): 323
In studying these two data sets, I realized the shortcomings of the data collection platform that is selective and gather data only from journals. It looks across only academic fields and how these works are used within the academic circle. This is of particularly interest because if these numbers are used in evolutions for hiring and tenure and it only makes judgment basis on the influence of academic on academia. It does not account for influence which research may have on other professional fields. For example, an article of pedagogy may not get cited enough but it possibly could be applied to practice of pedagogy. These influences do not get accounted for. Additionally, I am concerned about the highly limited influence circle this data set studies. Limited in sense of region. The data set acknowledges academic circles of USA and Europe. These data set may not be available from other countries like India, Nigeria or Peru. The absence of these data set from other countries would make academic opportunities difficult for people outside of it to attain a tenure.

Reflection on Redings:
In the article The Mismeasure of Science: Citation Analysis, we see how citations may not always account for the reference and influences upon a work. In my own research I am guilty of this mismeasure. How do I account for information which:
1) I have gathered over the years as a native of the region. Those sources of information and influences often have lack of empirical support due to which they may not get cited.
2) Methods like survey and interviews, which are often not the prime data collection methodology in field of History of Art and Architecture, are not accounted in the citations.
These are few among many citation difficulties I as a scholar find myself juggling with. Within this frame where citations are an ‘on-going process’, how do we account for the success of a scholar and estimate the evaluation for hiring? In my estimation, only looking at the citations would not be helpful.