With Recogito, I uploaded a text document pertaining to the removal of cherry blossom trees to make way for the Thomas Jefferson memorial in Washington D.C. I wanted to mark on the Gazeteer where the shipments of cherry blossoms were originally planted, the location for the site of the Jefferson memorial, and where many of the trees were moved to after the construction of the Jefferson memorial. This was a seamless task and the recogito interface with the gazeteer map worked fluidly and intuitively. One question I had, and I am not sure if it is technologically feasible, but would the system eventually be able to accept PDF files? I had originally uploaded one to be consequently rejected due to the file type. I am not sure if uploading PDF files is possible in the future, but it would greatly expand what I am able to upload and annotate.

I unfortunately struggled to get the gazeteer to cooperate with my files. I received an error notification. I believe this is largely due to my misunderstanding of document types and upload criterion. However, I played around with the Gazeteer without my own personal files and was impressed with the relative ease of access and amount of data currently in the system. A lake from my hometown of ten thousand was marked with a brief description. This was very exciting to see. Like my colleagues, I would love the zoom in feature to be expanded upon. This would enable scholars working on micro-level projects (streets, alleyways) to utilize the program. However, if a board is to be constructed to review submissions, expanding the scope of the program to the street level would be difficult to administer and adjudicate.